For a project I needed a way to get a reference to a UISwitch contained in the contentView of a UITableViewCell. I remembered from my research for my Swift talk that there was this handy is operator, so I was excited to tweet that I had finally found the first good use for it.
I reported in an earlier post that there are some gotchas trying to localize an app with the combination of Xcode’s XLIFF export and POEditor.com. The latter stated that it is not their fault and somebody responsible for the former thanked me for my sample.
A future fix in Xcode notwithstanding, I found it necessary to create the Localizable and Main storyboard strings file from the XLIFF files exported from the translation site. This way I could be certain that the translations I care about all all accounted for.
These updates to DTRichTextEditor and DTLoupe address some tenacious crashes occurring from invalid geometry of sublayers.
Our app prod.ly recently got the ability to award achievements to users for a variety of activities. Now, achievements have little impact if you cannot translate those into a rush of dopamine for the winning user. To achieve that, we are planning to have a pop up show as soon as the achievement is awarded, congratulating the user.
From psychology we know that if something is colourful and has animation it has a larger emotional impact than something that is static and B/W. One ingredient that is often used to heighten the effect are what I call “Hero Rays”. In this tutorial I am showing how I achieved them.
Since iWoman was acquired by FOKUS KIND Medien we have been working on a complete UI overhaul. This also requires many new translations. The previous version of iWoman had been localized with Linguan, a Mac app which we also had sold a while ago. Unfortunately Linguan does not yet have support for XLIFFs, even though the new owner is considering it.
This blog post describes an issue that the XLIFF workflow has because of a bug on POEditor.com as well as a problematic “feature” in Xcode which causes some strings to go missing.
Old story: you submit a new version of an app only to find the next day that you still have a place where a crash occurs. In my case I “developer rejected” the review submission and uploaded a new build. Only to find that 19 hours later – on the next day – it is still not available to be attached to the version for submission.
People on Twitter told me that they are having the same issues too every now and then. Apparently for some they can jigger it lose by refreshing the TestFlight iOS-Builds page every few seconds. A few individuals even do that with a chrome extension that reloads the page every 15 seconds.
So, time for a Radar: filed as rdar://23409291 and on OpenRadar.
While working on a today widget I stumbled on a bug in iOS. Since I was using multiple rows I had changed my widget to be table view-based with multiple rows showing a label and a value. Oddly, this setup caused my table view cells to no longer highlight when being touched between the labels.
One of my apps has a notification center widget. In this blog post I am exploring a few ingredients which are necessary to have the look go well with Apple’s original widgets.