I’ve long had a longing to have a Mac Mini as build server in my technics room. After Apple finally updated it to (now) fashionable space grey, it was a must purchase for my company.
This is a curious bug in Mohave, which is causing some headache for a client of ours who is relying on this functionality in their production work flow, but since this is broken in Mohave they cannot use machines they have already upgraded for this.
And before you ask why we didn’t report this earlier, as there were several months between WWDC and now… well, we didn’t use Mohave in production and it didn’t occur to us that something that was working before could be broken in a nice and shine new macOS version… 🙂
Filed in OpenRadar and under rdar://45338633. Due to the proprietary nature of the sample PDF, I didn’t post that to my Radar samples repo.
In the beginning, there was an idea: To provide a web service for app developers that would let them get basic product information – like a title and category – for a product which they only have a bar code for. I imagined that this could be the basis for a plethora of niche apps, each serving a different kind of niche: keep track of your books, CDs, games. Keep your inventory current, never again miss some food expiration date.
I thought that many app developers would have many users and those users would then add products to the global database if they encounter one that couldn’t be resolved. Monetization would be done from app developers who had the most web API traffic and at a later stage from letting product manufacturers analyse the sentiment about their products.
Tara from MacFixIt Australia asked:
Do you think Apple deliberately slowed down the performance of the older iPhones?
Sorry, but everybody following the story knows what happened and that the question is wrong. Rather you should have asked it to be technically accurate.
Update, April 28th: MacFixIt Austria used parts of my comment in a larger post.
Normally you only need the “Allow app extension API only” for extension targets, to get warned if you are accessing API which is not available for extensions. I had enabled it for a framework to make sure I didn’t call forbidden API.
I found this issue at the same time as this other issue because my client complained about both problems: Not seeing any documentation via Quick Help as well as the generated header unnecessarily containing internal classes. This problem was already present in Xcode 8, as evidenced by somebody asking about it on Stack Overflow.
I found this new issue when developing a framework for a client. I have all Swift code in a module and added nice documentation comments to all of the public methods and properties.
In Xcode 8, you could Open+Click on any property, class or method and you would see the documentation from these comments. This would work regardless if you are in Swift or Objective-C code.
Now with Xcode 9 that suddenly doesn’t work any more from Objective-C code. In Swift files it still works, both in the module itself as well as an app importing it.