While working on a today widget I stumbled on a bug in iOS. Since I was using multiple rows I had changed my widget to be table view-based with multiple rows showing a label and a value. Oddly, this setup caused my table view cells to no longer highlight when being touched between the labels.
For an event calendar I am showing a table view with dynamically sized cells. There are two labels which can span multiple lines. Unfortunately automatic sizing of the cell height via UITableViewAutomaticDimension does not work consistently in iOS 8 and 9.
Filed as rdar://22193223 and on OpenRadar.
For our prod.ly app and website I implemented all 3 features that need a site association file. One of these is the ability to look at a page from the website on your Mac and then handoff to your native app on your iOS device.
Unfortunately this appears to be broken in iOS 9. Doing the same on an iPhone running iOS 8 this works perfectly. Filed as rdar://22204950 and on Open Radar.
Update Oct 4th: Fixed in iOS 9.1.
As you might now I have an dual interest in product barcodes. First, there is my book treating all kinds of barcode symbologies supported by iOS. Second, there is ProductLayer where we are building a crowd-sourced product database via the prod.ly social network.
At first I thought that the problem would only exist for really low quality bar codes (rdar://19438067) but now I found a perfectly good looking specimen that has the same issue: iOS does not recognize it.
Filed as rdar://22048146 and on Open Radar. I am hoping that Apple can fix this issue before iOS 9 is done.
It took me almost an entire day to figure out that the following issue is caused by some indeterministic behavior of Xcode. As a developer, you expect to see the same results if you use the same parameters (i.e. “deterministic”), but this is a situation that sometimes succeeds, sometimes doesn’t.
In DTFoundation I have two targets that produce a DTFoundation.framework, for iOS and OS X respectively. Now the problems seems to be that since I set both to define a module “DTFoundation”, Xcode randomly gets confused during building an iOS app and sometimes might try to build the OS X framework for iOS.
This was filed as rdar://22008701 and on Open Radar. From the looks of things Rob Rix has filed bug report rdar://20490378 that appears to be describing the same issue. If you disable implicit dependency finding in the scheme, the problem also goes away.
Unfortunately Runtastic crashes on iOS 9. So I switched to tracking my nordic walks with Apple Watch. This works fine for the most part. But I experienced two issue lately. One of those is quite funny, so I chose to publish the bug reports here as well.
Apple is introducing a new contacts framework in iOS 9. The do so very aggressively to even replace view controllers from AddressBookUI.framework with their new implementations. Unfortunately not without problems.
Normally I am prefer to keep quiet about bugs in iOS beta versions, but this one affects apps public on the app store which are using this view controller and therefore I felt it necessary to warn my iOS developer colleagues about it. This is the crash I was alluding to on iOS Today.
Working on an issue that has been reported for Notepad Classic 2007 (currently free on App Store) I found that UITextView has problems keeping the scroll position when showing or hiding the keyboard.
This issue didn’t occur on iOS 7 and I wasted more than 5 hours trying to come up with a workaround. The problem is that showing and hiding the keyboard is causing superflous calls to layoutSubviews on the text view which causes it to change the contentSize and contentOffset. This gets further complicated by UITextView dynamically changing the contentSize as you scroll down through text that is longer than a few pages.
It is rare that I am so confounded by a bug, so I even opened a DTS call for it, hoping that there is a workaround for this problem.
Filed as rdar://20743459 and on Open Radar.
Fun fact! Sometimes Apple engineers confuse dupes of Radars with the original ones:
And that even though my radar has the zip file with the sample app attached and the alleged original only a reference to my GitHub RadarSamples repo. Oh well… as long as Apple fixes the issue, I am happy to give the win to Peter Steinberger. Fatality!
But, I have one more bug report up my sleeve! A similar issue occurs server-side when using CLGeoCoder, so I filed this as rdar://20665320 and on OpenRadar.
Again, this bug report comes with a beautiful sample app. This is the first bug report sample app I made in Swift. Only took me 4 times as long than if I made it in Objective-C, but a developer’s gotta do what a developer’s gotta do. 🙂
This has been bugging me for quite some time, since some of my address book contacts are affected. NSDataDetector does not properly handle addresses which have more than 2 numbers with one slash.
Previously, this issue was compounded by another issue in the geocoder which would take the apartment number (instead of the street number) for determining the geographic position. To workaround this I had to add another address to some of my contacts that didn’t have the apartment number. This seems to have been fixed in iOS 8.3, but NSDataDetector is still broken.