Apple had their quarterly earnings conference call yesterday, here are the highlights:
- they continue to far surpass analysts expectations
- for the first time iPad sales revenues surpassed the Mac ones
- there is some accounting magic necessary, something to do with the expected earnings from people upgrading to Lion
- Lion ships today
- AppleTV continues to be a “hobby”, but they continue to invest in it because they believe there’s “something there”.
- Regarding patent disputes, all they said ways they “like for people to invent their own things” and they will continue to protect their portfolio
- A note that there will be a “product transition” (which they are not discussing yet) that will the affect the earnings of the coming quarter.
Can you venture a guess what product will be transitioned? Some think that might have to do with a new iPhone generation. Others would rather bet on the iPod classic being retired.
This chart from Macworld tells a clear story: we iOS developers are on the most lucrative platform (iPhone + iPad), at least in Apple’s books.