Some people have reported that on a system where they installed Xcode 5 in parallel they found that Linguan gets stuck opening projects.
This is a very minor bugfix release for Linguan to fix one issue and possibly address a second one.
- Fixed Problem with Filter Scope
- Addressed an Issue that might prevent some users from closing the Preferences Windows
The second problem was reported by two users but so far we have been unable to reproduce it. If you are a developer and too find that you cannot close the preferences window we need your help! Please e-mail us so that we can arrange for inspecting the problem on your machine.
Update March 28: Approved after 10 days.
This maintenance release for Linguan fixes a number of issues which where mostly reported by our users.
- FIXED: blank path to ibtool considered valid
- FIXED: broken display of relative paths
- FIXED: weird handling of tab and return while editing
- FIXED: Endless Loop with File Change Notifications
- FiXED: Scan Sources did not add a token that was just removed
- FIXED: Superfluous file modification message on saving
- FIXED: Ordering by key should ignore case
Also we had to add a beautiful Retina icon for Retina MacBook Pro to be able to submit the update. It’s in Apple’s hands now and we will update this post as soon as it is through review.
We have to keep our fingers crossed because due to the way Linguan uses the xcodeproj it cannot be (easily) sandboxed. Though Apple had stated that they will accept minor fixes (like the ones mentioned above) for updates. We sincerely hope that they will honor this.
Update Oct 6th: Apple approved the update after 24 days. You can get it on the app store.
The 1.1.1 version of anything is always something special. Linguan 1.1.0 brought the first new feature in the form of support for localizing XIB files. Linguan 1.1.1 now contains some hot fixes to address several inconvenient bugs.
- FIXED: Problem with invalid UTF8 characters coming out of ibtool
- FIXED: Broken Compatibility with OS X 10.6
- FIXED: Changes to the Toolbar did not get saved
- FIXED: Checkbox missing to enable/disable XIB support
The update has been submitted to Apple and will be auto-released once it passes inspection.
When reporting issues with Linguan please always create a small sample Xcode project with the bare bones contents to be able to reproduce the problem. This enables us to fix it all the more quickly.
Update July 6th: Update is now available on the app store.
Linguan 1.1 brings the long-awaited support for localizing XIB files. While it has proven a boon for iOS developers where you generally can easily set the UI strings from code, Mac developers where left in the rain because there you typically have way more strings in the XIB files making it impractical to localize everything in code.
For the immediate first version we are remote-controlling ibtool which needs to be installed with the Xcode Commanline Tools and the path properly set up.
sudo /usr/bin/xcode-select /Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer
… or wherever your Xcode.app is installed.
I’ve seen it! The fabled XIB support for Linguan is almost done.
Linguan un-escapes all texts it reads from strings files so that they can be displayed correctly. You don’t want to have to deal with backslashes in the editor. Now on writing I had thought it to be a good idea to also escape everything, including question marks, backslashes and single quotes. It was a bad idea to do that because this unduely changes the tokens and translations.
Translators (the sad kind without Linguan) would be confused by having to deal with lots of \’ in the text. And there where some reports of the localized string loading functions not being able to find the key. Not always, but this is clearly not what we wanted.
This update relaxes the escaping on writing to the extent that only double quotes and invisible characters are now being escaped.
Besides fixing several bugs reported by users this release focusses on implementing a new custom-built super-charged strings scanner.
- FIXED: missing strings file no longer aborts import
- FIXED: added – Button for deleting tokens
- FIXED: deletion of wrong row
- FIXED: over-escaping of \ on writing strings files
- FIXED: wrong token name updated on enter key
- FIXED: search filter not reset on adding a new token
- FIXED: Previous/Next buttons in wizard cease to function
- NEW: replaced genstrings with high-speed custom implementation (>20x speed improvement)
- NEW: support custom localization macro prefix
This new version does no longer support 32-bit because the new strings scanner was implemented using ARC. We hope that this does not inconvenience any of our existing uses. But then again, serious developers are on a 64 bit machine anyway since Snow Leopard…
The new version has been submitted to Apple today.
The second hot fix pack for Linguan 1.0 fixes a couple more issues that some of our (mostly) happy customers reported.
- Fixed: Translations will no longer get trimmed
- Fixed: Problem opening projects with absolute file paths
- Fixed: Table did not update on deletion of token
- Changed: Extended duration of “no new tokens found” HUD
- Changed: Enter key now opens selected recent project in welcome screen
If you haven’t done so please post your feedback on iTunes. To be able to add additional features to Linguan we need to have sufficient sales. And for that we need your positive reviews, high rating and that you tell other developers about Linguan.
Today is the best day for them to also get a copy because: As a Thank You for your interest in our app we reduced the sale price by 50% until the new version gets approval by Apple.