Oct 06, 2012
This maintenance release for Linguan fixes a number of issues which where mostly reported by our users.
- FIXED: blank path to ibtool considered valid
- FIXED: broken display of relative paths
- FIXED: weird handling of tab and return while editing
- FIXED: Endless Loop with File Change Notifications
- FiXED: Scan Sources did not add a token that was just removed
- FIXED: Superfluous file modification message on saving
- FIXED: Ordering by key should ignore case
Also we had to add a beautiful Retina icon for Retina MacBook Pro to be able to submit the update. It’s in Apple’s hands now and we will update this post as soon as it is through review.
We have to keep our fingers crossed because due to the way Linguan uses the xcodeproj it cannot be (easily) sandboxed. Though Apple had stated that they will accept minor fixes (like the ones mentioned above) for updates. We sincerely hope that they will honor this.
Update Oct 6th: Apple approved the update after 24 days. You can get it on the app store.
Jun 25, 2012
The 1.1.1 version of anything is always something special. Linguan 1.1.0 brought the first new feature in the form of support for localizing XIB files. Linguan 1.1.1 now contains some hot fixes to address several inconvenient bugs.
- FIXED: Problem with invalid UTF8 characters coming out of ibtool
- FIXED: Broken Compatibility with OS X 10.6
- FIXED: Changes to the Toolbar did not get saved
- FIXED: Checkbox missing to enable/disable XIB support
The update has been submitted to Apple and will be auto-released once it passes inspection.
When reporting issues with Linguan please always create a small sample Xcode project with the bare bones contents to be able to reproduce the problem. This enables us to fix it all the more quickly.
Update July 6th: Update is now available on the app store.
May 29, 2012
Linguan 1.1 brings the long-awaited support for localizing XIB files. While it has proven a boon for iOS developers where you generally can easily set the UI strings from code, Mac developers where left in the rain because there you typically have way more strings in the XIB files making it impractical to localize everything in code.
For the immediate first version we are remote-controlling ibtool which needs to be installed with the Xcode Commanline Tools and the path properly set up.
sudo /usr/bin/xcode-select /Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer
… or wherever your Xcode.app is installed.
Apr 28, 2012
I’ve seen it! The fabled XIB support for Linguan is almost done.
Mar 15, 2012
I did a quick fix for Linguan after several users complained about the strict slash-escaping that we had introduced in 1.0.4.
Linguan un-escapes all texts it reads from strings files so that they can be displayed correctly. You don’t want to have to deal with backslashes in the editor. Now on writing I had thought it to be a good idea to also escape everything, including question marks, backslashes and single quotes. It was a bad idea to do that because this unduely changes the tokens and translations.
Translators (the sad kind without Linguan) would be confused by having to deal with lots of \’ in the text. And there where some reports of the localized string loading functions not being able to find the key. Not always, but this is clearly not what we wanted.
This update relaxes the escaping on writing to the extent that only double quotes and invisible characters are now being escaped.
Feb 19, 2012
This is a hot fix release addressing several issues that users found. You now have a new option to decode unicode sequences with two backslashes on loading strings files or scanning source code. Decoding and Encoding of slash escapes now uses the functions provided by genstrings2.
Jan 16, 2012
Besides fixing several bugs reported by users this release focusses on implementing a new custom-built super-charged strings scanner.
- FIXED: missing strings file no longer aborts import
- FIXED: added – Button for deleting tokens
- FIXED: deletion of wrong row
- FIXED: over-escaping of \ on writing strings files
- FIXED: wrong token name updated on enter key
- FIXED: search filter not reset on adding a new token
- FIXED: Previous/Next buttons in wizard cease to function
- NEW: replaced genstrings with high-speed custom implementation (>20x speed improvement)
- NEW: support custom localization macro prefix
This new version does no longer support 32-bit because the new strings scanner was implemented using ARC. We hope that this does not inconvenience any of our existing uses. But then again, serious developers are on a 64 bit machine anyway since Snow Leopard…
The new version has been submitted to Apple today.
Dec 06, 2011
The second hot fix pack for Linguan 1.0 fixes a couple more issues that some of our (mostly) happy customers reported.
- Fixed: Translations will no longer get trimmed
- Fixed: Problem opening projects with absolute file paths
- Fixed: Table did not update on deletion of token
- Changed: Extended duration of “no new tokens found” HUD
- Changed: Enter key now opens selected recent project in welcome screen
If you haven’t done so please post your feedback on iTunes. To be able to add additional features to Linguan we need to have sufficient sales. And for that we need your positive reviews, high rating and that you tell other developers about Linguan.
Today is the best day for them to also get a copy because: As a Thank You for your interest in our app we reduced the sale price by 50% until the new version gets approval by Apple.
Nov 18, 2011
My partners at BytePoets have been causing their keyboards to emit steam from walking through 26 issues that we identified on the 1.0 release just 9 days ago. Almost all had been identified as typical “oh shoot” elements, mostly items that you only find when people begin to actually use your software. Also I was able to smuggle in one or the other new feature since I consider “user confusion” also as a form of bug that you should hot fix if you can.