The following issue is a head scratcher if you are trying to add unit tests to your project that both run on Mac and iOS. And if you like to use the new inline buttons for executing individual tests.
All the while during the iOS 7 BETA phase I’ve been filing Radars and produced samples to go with them to demonstrate the issue to Apple engineers. I wasn’t allowed to blog about these until the general release of iOS 7 and so I kept collecting them in a special folder on my dropbox.
Now that iOS 7 is out I am able to add the samples to my public Radar Samples repo on GitHub. I hope that they can be a good example of how to create samples that allow Apple engineers to quickly reproduce and debug those issues.
Since Apple is starting to enhance LLVM with new language elements I figure that it might be a good time to suggest them as well, of course via Radar.
This is an enhancement request for getting an object-oriented version of the classic C switch which would allow you to use objects – like NSString literals – for the cases.
Filed as rdar://14557382 and on Open Radar.
The following hassle became apparent when I restored an iPhone 4 to a iOS 7 BETA version. You are supposed to file issues for everything, even something that annoys you as infrequently as this. This one has been annoying me for several years now.
So I finally logged it as rdar://14425938 and on Open Radar.
According to the QLPreviewItem Protocol Reference for iOS:
“If the item is not available for preview, this property’s getter method should return nil. In this case, the Quick Look preview controller displays a ‘loading’ view.”
If you return nil for the previewItemURL as suggested the app is terminated with an exception.
This bug is filed as rdar://14216503 and on OpenRadar.
If you always wanted to crash your MobileSafari and didn’t dare to ask, here’s a current way to do it. If you zoom into the right place on our Linguan app product page iOS terminates the app. Thanks to Oisin Prendiville for sending this in.
Of course I had to immediately file a bug report. It is slightly bit hilarious that Mobile Safari would crash on my own site. Looks like it’s somehow running out of “rpages”, whatever that means.
Filed as rdar://13885055 and on Open Radar.
While working on the demo app for my DTRichTextEditor I stumbled across a bug that exists since iOS 6. You’ll notice that only if you set an inputView on an editable UIView and have it become first Responder.
Filed as rdar://13836932 and on OpenRadar.
Update May 9th: Provided a Sample App, which is also available on GitHub.
The following bug report has already been confirmed by Apple. Still I am posting it for the public so that it might help somebody who is getting the same problem.
The workaround is to override the readFromURL:error: method of UIDocument instead loadFromContents:ofType:error: since the problem lies inside NSFileWrapper. While being very convenient to use on smaller documents having too many items inside an NSFileWrapper will cause the problem described in this bug report.
The bug occurs in 2 out of 10 well-known tech podcasts and can be reproduced in iTunes 11. This isn’t related to iOS or Mac development but since I spent much time in researching this, I want to post it on my blog as well. Also I believe that if people file better bug reports Apple has more reason to fix the bugs.
I noticed then when I was investigating why skipping in some of my own podcasts didn’t work. Turns out that the reason for that was a combination of ngnix + WordPress Multi-User + one pesky rewrite rule. But this is not the root cause that some podcasts are having.
If you know how to read (and understand HTTP headers) let me know in the comments if you spot a possible explanation for this bug.
Filed as rdar://13490726 and on Open Radar.